Report Guernsey Colour Ringed Gulls

Sightings of Guernsey colour ringed Gulls can be entered here for an instant life history, or sent to pkv@cwgsy.net for a life history to be returned by e-mail to observers.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Juvenile Herring and Lesser Black-backed Gulls on the Wing

On 9th July I saw my first fully fledged Herring Gull of the year at Chouet landfill Beach, and today my first fledged Lesser Black-backed Gull. It is always an exciting time of year, as I hope to see my first colour ringed juvenile gulls on the beaches.
Last weekend I was on Burhou with Jenni and Holly of the Alderney Wildlife Trust, who had very kindly agreed to help me ring the Lesser Black-backed Gull chicks. We managed to ring 120 LBBG chicks and only two Herring Gull chicks, so 2015 was not  a very productive season on Burhou for the gulls. Notwithstanding this it was still a great trip, with much valuable gull data accumulated, including another 25 gull colour ring observations at the colony.
Photos to follow in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment