Report Guernsey Colour Ringed Gulls

Sightings of Guernsey colour ringed Gulls can be entered here for an instant life history, or sent to pkv@cwgsy.net for a life history to be returned by e-mail to observers.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Young Gulls Invade the Beaches

It's a great time of year. The season's seabird monitoring work is over for another year, so I can just grab the scope again and head for the beaches or landfill early in the mornings - simply to enjoy the gulls...and it's always really good to see the invasion of the beaches by juvenile gulls! Every year I wonder what I did with my time...because hardly any juvenile gulls seem to be colour-ringed! Most of these early juveniles will be Channel Island bred birds...but many nest in inaccessible places. At least I found five cr juvenile Herring Gulls in the hoards of youngsters today. Most of the juveniles are Herring Gulls, but there are also a few Great Black-backed Gulls and today my first Lesser Black-backed Gulls (always very smart...but none with colour rings!).





Gulls at Chouet Landfill Beach (c) PKV

No comments:

Post a Comment