Report Guernsey Colour Ringed Gulls

Sightings of Guernsey colour ringed Gulls can be entered here for an instant life history, or sent to pkv@cwgsy.net for a life history to be returned by e-mail to observers.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Fantastic Few Hours at Chouet landfill!

Originally Chris, Phil and I were hoping today to take a modest gull catch at Chouet landfill. However, the stiff NE wind and frequent sleet showers persuaded us to postpone the effort for another week. I still went into the landfill to record colour rings...and was richly rewarded with one of my best sessions of the year so far. Amongst the 50+ cr LBBGs was my first Spanish bird from a project run at a landfill in Western SpainOrange T121. All the remaining LBBG sightings were our returning birds.
There were also at least two adult Yellow-legged Gulls in the Landfill this morning.
Today I had a fantastic spot close to the tipping face, but with a very nice view down onto one of the main resting areas for the gulls. For the last 15 minutes of the session I put down my telescope, binoculars and note pad and simply watched the gulls manoeuvring over the tipping face, some only a few metres from me. It is such a privilege to watch such birds mastering flight in such a dense pack. For me these birds are amongst the most beautiful that we see every day! All in all a really Top Morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment