Report Guernsey Colour Ringed Gulls

Sightings of Guernsey colour ringed Gulls can be entered here for an instant life history, or sent to pkv@cwgsy.net for a life history to be returned by e-mail to observers.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

It's a Very Small World!

Something incredible happened last evening. Mike Hill - my original bird ringing trainer and friend since 1974 , who emigrated to England about 20 years ago phoned me from his home in Seaton, Devon, England  to tell me that he had a colour ringed Herring Gull standing on his roof. He gave me the number and said "I don't suppose it is one of yours" - well...it was!

Herring Gull White 2.AK4 was ringed as a 1st summer female at Chouet Landfill in May 2010. I have only seen it once subsequently - in December 2010 again at Chouet.

What are the chances of that - one of my Guernsey Gulls singling out Mike's house some 120 miles or so away across the English Channel?! I love it when life hands out such incredulous coincidences!

No comments:

Post a Comment